View as PDF
Coal Services includes the following companies and business units:
- Coal Services Pty Limited provides corporate support services to each business and includes Statistics and Internal Audit.
- Coal Mines Insurance Pty Limited (CMI)provides the workers compensation insurance scheme for workers in the NSW coal industry.
- CS Health provides occupational medical services to employers and workers in the coal industry.
- Mines Rescue Pty Limited (Mines Rescue) provides incident response services and training to coal mines within NSW.
- Regulation & Compliance provides gas and other occupational hygiene monitoring and analysis services to industry and conducts training audits under NSW Coal Order 34.
Within this statement, Coal Services Pty Limited, Coal Mines Insurance Pty Limited, and Mines Rescue Pty Limited, and their related entities, are collectively referred to as ‘we’, ‘us’, ‘our’ or ‘Coal Services’.
Protecting your privacy and maintaining the confidentiality of your personal information is important to us. This statement sets out how we handle your personal information, including the collection, use and disclosure of your personal information, as well as how you can access and change your information, provide us with feedback or make a complaint.
Coal Services is bound by and complies with the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (‘Privacy Act’) and the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002 (NSW) (‘HRIP Act’).
The HRIP Act only applies in relation to ‘health information’. Health information includes information or an opinion about an individual’s physical or mental health such as medical reports, medical certificates, x-rays, CT scans and fitness assessments.
your personal information
Coal Services collects information for different purposes depending on the function or activities of the particular company or business unit.
Services collects corporate reports from other Coal Services business units and third parties which may include personal and sensitive information relating to individuals to whom services have been provided. We may also collect information from employers in the industry.
- CMI collects personal and sensitive information regarding the individual who has made the workers compensation claim, their contact details, details regarding their doctors and, if applicable, surveillance information to determine the genuineness of the claimed impairment. The information is generally collected from the individual, treating and other doctors, allied health professionals, employers and professional investigators.
- CS Health collects personal and sensitive information regarding the fitness of the individual to perform duties in the coal industry, return to work requirements and details regarding an individual’s doctors, as well as information regarding injuries and conditions presented for treatment. The information is generally collected from the individual, treating and other doctors, allied health professionals and employers.
- Mines Rescue collects personal and sensitive information in relation to individuals who have been the subject of rescue services or to whom training has been provided. This information is generally collected from employers in the industry and from the individual.
- Regulation & Compliance collects personal information in relation to individuals to whom services have been provided and may also collect information from employers in the industry.
If you do
not provide Coal Services with your personal information
If you do not provide us with the personal information we reasonably request, we may not be able to provide the product or service as requested. Where practicable, we will provide anonymous interaction between the parties e.g. when conducting research.
Before we complete any service requiring personal information, consent will be sought to collect and use the information supplied. We will ask permission via application forms, administration processes and other methods of collecting information.
Coal Services collects information
When visiting the Coal Services website, general statistical information such as the number of users visiting the website is collected, along with the number of pages viewed, the date, time and duration of visits and how the visitor came to the website.
We may also collect Internet Protocol (IP) addresses and internet browser type. This information will not identify the user. We do not enable ‘cookies’ on the website and therefore do not collect information from you via these means.
Unsolicited information and information received from third parties will be destroyed.
and disclosing your personal information
Coal Services uses information in accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles (APP). We will only use information for the purpose it was collected unless consent is provided to use it for another purpose or the use is otherwise permitted by law.
We may use personal information for contact purposes (via mail, email, phone or SMS) regarding the services offered by Coal Services and its related business entities which may be of benefit, or to conduct research (including but not limited to customer surveys). We will not use health information for marketing or research purposes unless consent is provided.
We may provide you with information about other products and services offered by Coal Services and its entities that may benefit you and your employees. This includes information about training, health, injury management and environmental hygiene.
If you do not want to be contacted for marketing or promotional purposes, you can opt out of these communications when you receive them, or you can contact us at [email protected]
- If you request not to receive marketing material we will still contact you in relation to our ongoing relationship with you. For example we will still send you statements, relevant information on products and services you are using with Coal Services.
- Your health information won’t be used for marketing or research purposes unless we have your consent to do so.
There may be times when we need to disclose personal or health information to other parties to enable services to be provided or carried out on our behalf e.g. matters considered to be life threatening. Examples include Coal Services’ business units, treating and other doctors, allied health professionals, employers, solicitors, professional investigators, mailing houses, research firms, other government departments and the relevant Minister.
If it is necessary to disclose information to a third party, we will de-identify the information where possible.
We generally do not disclose personal or health information to anyone outside Australia.
and correcting your information
Can I access
my personal information?
You are entitled to access your own personal information being held. This information is generally provided upon request.
So that we can respond quickly and efficiently to requests, it is asked that you complete an Access Request Form. There may be a service fee for retrieving and sending the information. Please contact us if you would like more information on how to request access to this information or to confirm the applicable charges.
In limited circumstances, however, access may be refused if permitted by law. For example, you may be refused access to your personal information related to anticipated or existing legal proceedings and which cannot be subject to a process of discovery, information regarding Coal Services’ negotiations with you, legal advice about your matter with Coal Services, where providing access poses a serious threat to the life, health or safety of any individual or if access may have an unreasonable impact on the privacy of other individuals.
If we are unable to give you access to the information you have requested, we will give you reasons for this decision when we respond to your request.
your personal information
To enable us to provide you with the best possible service, it is important that the information we hold about you is accurate.
We will take reasonable steps to ensure that any information being held is relevant, accurate, complete, up-to-date and not misleading. However, it is your responsibility to notify us when your details change.
If you believe the information being held about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date, you should contact us and we will amend your records.
of your personal information
Coal Services holds personal and health information on databases and physical files. We maintain the confidentiality of personal and sensitive information and take all reasonable steps to securely retain any information being held. We have a process in place to destroy information which is no longer required.
- Information held on relevant databases is protected through the use of passwords and other security procedures.
- Access to information is limited to those employees and/or service providers who specifically need it to perform their duties in providing services.
- There are also physical measures in place to protect the use and storage of physical files.
- All employees are aware of the requirements of the APP and are responsible for handling personal information in accordance with the Privacy Act. Coal Services restricts data migration to third parties.
to contact us
If there are any questions about this Privacy Statement, please contact us.
If there is a complaint about the privacy of your information, we ask that you please make contact in writing. We will promptly acknowledged and investigate the complaint.
Coal Services Pty Limited
GPO Box 3842, Sydney NSW 2001
T:+61 2 8270 3200
E: [email protected]
to this Statement
This privacy statement is current as at 18 September 2013.