ARRB Group Ltd (Formerly ARRB Transport Research Ltd) – April 2005
The general perception of the state of fatigue-related crashes in transit home from mining workplaces in the Hunter Valley, Newcastle Coalfields and Wollongong areas of New South Wales (NSW) is that it is occurring, although the prevalence is somewhat unknown. It was proposed that the following research questions be asked within the study:
1. What is the prevalence of coal mine workers having road crashes on the way to or way home from coal mines in the Hunter Valley, Newcastle Coalfields and Wollongong areas?
2. What proportion of these crashes has fatigue as a contributing factor?
3. Are there any differences in crashes for people who work in underground mining versus open cut mining?
4. Does the length of shift or time of day have an influence on any of these crashes?
5. Are there similarities between crashes on the way to and from coal mines in NSW as opposed to QLD?