The project will provide valuable information about the challenges and benefits of introducing task rotation within an underground coal mining environment considering the management, supervisor and workers perspective. This information will inform future implementation of task rotation within the coal mining environment.
Guidelines that will surround the project include:
- 9 hour shift-minimum of 2 rotations maximum of 3
- 12 hour shift-minimum of 3 rotations maximum of 4
- Maximum of 4 hours per task
- Deputy to allocate task rotations within his crew as each shift will be different
- Rotations need to be as practical as possible for each individual crew
- Individuals should not rotate to a task that is similar to a previous task e.g. left hand to right hand bolting.
These guidelines form the expectations of the project and can be transferrable across the coal mining industry.