John has a passion for safety and ensuring safety management systems meet the legislative requirements, are well understood and are implemented throughout all levels of an operation. He has extensive experience across statutory, technical, operational management and compliance roles within underground mining and construction environments.
John’s technical expertise includes underground mine ventilation, practical application of Mines Safety Management Systems, WHS legislation and compliance requirements.
John van der Merwe Consultant
It’s rewarding to know that the work we do helps people to go home safely every day.
2013-17 BHP Billiton/South32 Illawarra Metallurgical Coal Dendrobium Mine Mining Engineer, Mining Supervisor, Statutory Ventilation Officer & Mining Projects
2017-18 Lendlease NorthConnex Road Tunnel Project Senior Project Engineer
2018-19 Anglo American Grosvenor Mine Statutory Ventilation Officer
2019-2023 South32 Illawarra Metallurgical Coal Appin Mine Undermanager
2023 Mines Rescue Consultant
- Bachelor of Engineering (Mining), with Honours University of New South Wales - 2010
- Graduate Diploma in Mine Ventilation (Ventilation Officer) University of NSW - 2014
- Deputy Certificate of Competence NSW - 2013
- Undermanager Certificate of Competence NSW - 2015
- Workplace Training Assessors NSW Mines Rescue - 2021
- Certificate III in Emergency Response and Rescue NSW Mines Rescue - 2022
- NSW Mining Engineering Manager Certificate NSW - 2023
- Lead Auditor SAI Global - 2023
- ISO 9001:2015 Quality management systems / ISO 45001:2018 OH&S management systems 2023
Scott’s expertise extends to the application of material risk management, safety management systems, legal compliance and emergency management; areas in which Scott has worked for Tier one mining companies.
Wayne’s expertise extends to the areas of mine design, leadership, legal compliance and the development of safety management systems.
Read more about Alaster Wylie
Consultant - General Manager, Mines Rescue / Regulation and ComplianceFollow Alaster Wylie on LinkedIn
With 15 years’ experience in underground coal mining gained from a diverse range of senior operational, management and project roles.
Read more about Lachlan Grant
Consultant – State Operations ManagerFollow Lachlan Grant on LinkedIn
Lachlan’s experience spans multiple regions with varying hazard profiles where he has fulfilled statutory functions including Deputy, Undermanager, Ventilation Officer and Mining Engineering Manager.
Dave McLean is a renowned industry leader, with 32 years’ experience in managing businesses and leading people in the mining industry.
Read more about Rhys James
Consultant - South Western Operations ManagerFollow Rhys James on LinkedIn